Avencia Consulting are an RPO who provide a recruitment service to our client Markel International.
Markel Corporation (NYSE - MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
Markel (UK) Ltd is a division of Markel International and serves the regional broker market in specialist classes such as professional and management risks, social welfare and biomedical and life science through a network of regional offices. The successful candidate will be a part of the Leeds office and the renewals team within UK National Markets.
Life Sciences Underwriter
£ Competitive + Bonus & Benefits
Are you looking to progress your career within insurance underwriting within a specialised area?
Help us provide an excellent underwriting service for brokers in the UK in our Science & Technology team here at Markel.
We have an excellent opportunity for a Life Sciences Underwriter to join our Science & Technology team here in Leeds. The role will be working within the renewals department, dealing with a wide variety of Biomedical, Life Science & Technology Renewals. Working alongside other departments within the business to build and maintain relationships both internally and externally and deliver an outstanding service to our brokers.
You'll monitor and analyse broker activity to identify success and areas for improvement and provide pro-active feedback to the team manager and have responsibility for renewals while engaging with our brokers via telephone.
If you're looking to foster your career within underwriting working for a global insurance company then this may be the role for you!
What you'll be doing:
- Provide and maintain a good level of underwriting, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of company guidelines and authority levels in order to achieve defined objectives
- Underwriting risks in accordance within own personal level of underwriting authority
- Provide excellent service to our brokers, prioritising renewals and mid-term adjustments and referrals whether emanating from the broker e-trading platform, Acturis or by email/phone to ensure timeframes are met
- Ensure incoming calls to the team are answered promptly and professionally.
- Diarise and follow-up renewals with brokers with the purpose of securing and retaining business
- Attend underwriting meetings as the need arises throughout the year to provide insight into developments, trends and feedback on market conditions
- Handle renewal cases working as appropriate with the broker to secure renewal and upsell/ cross-sell additional covers
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships with the Technical teams in Leeds and the wider business
- Assisting the team and wider business with ad hoc projects
What we're looking for:
- Proven relevant insurance experience and demonstrable technical skills
- Background and experience in our classes of business is desirable, but not necessary, commercial combined or liability experience will be considered
- Excellent numerical, written and spoken communication skills
- Experience of e-trading platforms
- Strong IT skills including MS Office and our systems including the broker e-trading platform
- Be studying for/or be willing to study for CII qualifications - we will fully fund and support you in this qualification which receives a salary uplift upon completion
What's in it for you?
- A very competitive basic salary plus bonus & benefits.
- 25 days' holiday plus Bank Holidays, with the opportunity to buy / sell extra leave.
- Company matched pension scheme, private medical and dental cover, life assurance, travel insurance cover, income protection, a cycle2work scheme, season ticket loan, Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), maternity, adoption and shared parental leave pay, paternity pay ..and plenty more.
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle - from discounts and cash back on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology.
- The possibility of working from both the office and from home (hybrid), flexible working or other options are available.
- You'll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere within Markel.
- You'll be joining a global network of experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple teams and countries. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we'll provide the support you need to do just that.
What we hope you'll do next:
Choose 'Apply now' to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
Markel celebrates the value of a diverse workforce that brings experience and expertise from a wide variety of backgrounds and life circumstances. Whatever your background, if you feel you meet the requirements of this role then we want to hear from you.