About Markel Law:
Markel Corporation (NYSE - MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
Markel Law LLP (Markel Law) is an independent SRA authorised and regulated legal business offering services to both insured and non-insured clients. We are expert in legal services and specialise in civil and employment disputes and regulatory law.
Solicitor Professional Indemnity
£ Competitive + Bonus & Benefits
Are you looking for a new challenge working within Professional Indemnity?
Help us support our clients across a range of insurance claims here at Markel Law.
We have an excellent opportunity for an accomplished Solicitor to join our litigation team at Markel in either our Manchester or Leeds office. The firm's professional indemnity offering is focussed on work for Markel (UK) Limited, a specialist commercial insurance provider to SMEs professionals and sole traders. It is headed by Chris Burns and Mark Rankin.
Instructions cover the full range of covers, but focus primarily on professional liability and management liability (D&O). There is a significant amount of coverage work. Disputes range from small claims to £multi-million disputes. Key professional risks include construction professionals, electrical and other specialist building service contractors, accountants, technology professionals, care practitioners and social welfare / not for profit organisations.
Recent work highlights include:
- advising insurers in relation to a high-profile coverage issue in respect of a claim in the care sector worth in excess of £5million;
- representing insurers and a statutory water undertaker in a significant claim arising out of a sewer strike on a large housing development;
- defending a claim against a large regional accountancy practice in defence of a £1.5m claim arising out of the inadvertent tax consequences of succession planning; and
- acting for insurers and an IT provider in respect of a claim by a large staff association for losses put at in excess of £2.5 million arising from a ransomware attack.
Work is also carried out for Markel International Limited, the specialist Lloyds market insurer and this is an area ripe for future growth.
If you're looking to foster your career within a global insurance/law company then this may be the role for you!
What you'll be doing:
- You'll be dealing with professional indemnity insurance claims (ideally from a defendant's perspective) and may well come from an established insurance-focused firm or team
- Deliver billing and other key performance indicators
- Be able to establish, develop and maintain corporate and individual client relationships - both internally and externally
- Be able to handle their own case load and work independently on smaller files - including recommending reserves and setting strategies
- Work within a small core team of 6 lawyers, with access to paralegal and trainee solicitor resource as required
- Be able to identify, consider and advise upon insurance policy coverage issues.
- Be able to assist in the growth of the team and to be open to new challenges and areas of focus
- Be accomplished in dealing with claims across the full spectrum of values and all different types of opponents (e.g. litigant in person, solicitors, large corporate, etc)
What we're looking for:
- Have previous legal insurance experience
- Experience of dealing with a wide range of disputes in the construction sector, including knowledge of the pre-action protocol for construction and engineering disputes and TCC procedure, with an understanding of the technical nature of such disputes
- Have some business development experience, although this is preferable rather than a prerequisit
- Have knowledge of legal/insurance relationships and their interaction
- Demonstrate first class client care and communication skills (both written and oral)
- Have high attention to detail and accurate case management skills
- Demonstrate positive and co-operative interaction with team members
What's in it for you?
- A very competitive basic salary plus bonus & benefits.
- 25 days' holiday plus Bank Holidays, with the opportunity to buy / sell extra leave.
- Company matched pension scheme, private medical and dental cover, life assurance, travel insurance cover, income protection, a cycle2work scheme, season ticket loan, Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), parental, adoption and shared parental leave pay ..and plenty more.
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle - from discounts and cash back on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology.
- Working from both the office and from home (hybrid), flexible working or other options are available..
- You'll be joining a global network of experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple teams and countries. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we'll provide the support you need to do just that!
What we hope you'll do next:
Choose 'Apply now' to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
Markel celebrates the value of a diverse workforce that brings experience and expertise from a wide variety of backgrounds and life circumstances. Whatever your background, if you feel you meet the requirements of this role then we want to hear from you.